Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Road to Recovery!


So, yesterday was my 30th birthday and my bilateral inguinal hernia repair surgery......what a day!

Noah and I left around 9 in the morning to drop Addison off at my friend Courtney's house.....she hung out with Courtney and her three children all day and had a very fun playdate! Luckily Courtney said she was very well behaved! Good girl Addie! Courtney is such a wonderful friend, and she sure eased my worries about leaving her...thank you Courtney!

We arrived at the hospital at 11am as instructed and I finally went in to surgery around 1:30pm....lots of pre-op procedures, instructions, waiting......my anxiety was definitely rising, but Noah kept me calm and the staff were all excellent in making me feel as reassured as possible that things would go well.

The procedure was a couple hours long and then it took me a few hours in the recovery room to awaken......but things went well. They were able to repair me endoscopically which means that I have three small incisions below my belly button vs. one large incision. My pain was pretty bad in the recovery room, so they kept administering more and more IV pain meds.....once it was down to a 3 or 4/10 on the pain scale I was taken to a smaller recovery room where I got to see Noah again and continue to awaken. I was so happy to see him! I remained pretty groggy, but was able to take a short walk to the bathroom in order to get released. I remember every bump in the road on the way home last night, that is for sure...ouch! My friend Courtney was so kind to bring Addison to us when we got home around 9:30pm, so that we didn't have to trek far.

I was extremely sore last night and stuck to the pain meds every four hours......I slept fairly well considering my tough day!

Today I am resting a ton and trying to wean a little with the pain meds; however, I remain in a pretty significant amount of pain. Moving around is still very uncomfortable and I am still so tired! I've been forcing myself to walk to the bathroom and kitchen a couple times, but even this wears me out. I know this is all a normal part of recovery though, and that I will get through it. I have been able to hold Addison a little today and took a nap with her......she is full of smiles and being such a sweetheart...as if she knows that mommy doesn't feel well. Noah has been a saint! He was up last night whenever the baby needed something and waiting on me with whatever I needed.....I am so fortunate to have the best husband ever! He is here with me today and plans to be around tomorrow as well.

I received a surprise, really nice phone call this morning from my surgeon to check on me....wow, what a great man! He just wanted to make sure that I was feeling better and see if I needed anything or had any questions.....

I am on light duty-cannot lift > 10 pounds for the next 2 weeks....luckily Addison weighs 9 lbs. ounces right now, so I think we are going to be able to make it after a couple more days of taking it really easy! So glad I have a petite baby!

I am definitely on the road to recovery.....and feel confident that I will be back to my old self in just a few days.......more updates to come! Thank you all for your love and support! I will never forget my 30th birthday!

Here is a picture of me and my baby girl cuddling this morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment